5.15.2008

N-A-S ARE THE LETTERS THAT SPELL...












I'm on an emotional roller-coaster. Yesterday, news that Mass Appeal was giving up the print game. Today, news that I get to go - on special assignment - to see one of the greatest emcees who've ever held a mic. I can't even express how influential this man has been in my life. Illmatic didn't make it out of my portable CD player for like, years after it dropped. And even now, after collecting all his albums, mixtapes and cameo song appearences, Illmatic still lives on my top 10 greatest albums of all time. I say this with deep gravity and in all seriousness. I got to see Jay at BAM (Brooklyn Art Museum) in New York days after The Black album dropped. And now, Nas for his latest, the Nigger album.

To have this man perform - FOR THE FIRST TIME - in Portland, one of the country's largest white cities with an album as profound and powerful as his newest, is unbelievable. I'll be there when doors open. I want every cell of my being to soak in every second this show. And being that we're in Portland, I'll be on extra alert to the tone and caliber of Nasir's performance...

More on this post-show.

No comments: