4.06.2008

More Liz C.!



Because she's fab and I promised all of you answers to burning questions in the hopes that she'll divulge the secrets to her effortless trill. She was kind enough to put down the paintbrush and glue stick long enough to chat. And ref the First Thursdays blog for more snaps.


Up To Bat: Liz-C.

What is Liz-C. art?
I belive a mix of what i'm keeping my ears and eyes on. Basically fun, bringing back the fun and getting our hands dirty. I really wanted to say something to an audience so I switched up using my photoshop so much and got my hands dirty again. draw and paint more. You have to use your hands, if you make it on a computer...ok, look I love all my graphic artists out there, but it's time to get your hands dirty once in awhile. I'm trying to stay raw and not be too infulcened by allllllllll the hype and overexposure on magazines and cable...but it's hard. Liz-C. art hopefully means raw.

What's inspiring for you?
Seeing all the DIY ladies out there, really holding it down all over the world. I grew up watching the Riot Grrl movement, I was trippin on Tank Girl (if you don't know out there the guy who created the GoriLLaz, yeah. that cartoon band) My-So_Called-Life/Queen Latifah/La kinda girl, that girls were starting to break the mold, speaking up and coming out hard in music,art,books, zine. Sassy magazine was like the IT thing for me...I wanted to be that kind of overall look for myself. I'm inspired right now by the great masters of our time. I'll give you three: Antonio Gaudí, Ernest Miller Hemingway and damn it Banksy...Banksy, man how do you you do it? He's the Harry Houdini of the streets.

How long have you been an artist?
As soon as I breathed air in my lungs.

What's the story behind all the pieces at Adidas Originals?
Juxapose of the culture flossed excess madness VS reality. Fun meets smart. They will be chillin out for 3 more days in the store and they are looking for a new home on your wall. If you are interested drop your name to the employee's at the Adidas store and they will get in touch with me.

What's on the horizon? Upcoming projects folks need to be aware of?
My boy Scott Phillips (check him out at: http://blog. scottmichaelphillips. com/) are going to try and rent out a gallery space for 3 monthes and do a intense visual diary about how women and men express themselves differently not in words but visually. We are going to put a curtain up between the space so we can't see each other's work for the 3 month duration then when the time is up for the art show we will take the curtain down and then be able to experience the same enjoyment as my audience is learning about someone you don't know or for me how my friend is doing on a subconscious visual level. Damn, ya'll you get that. Yeah, I'm getting deep on this joint.

What's the one thing you have to do every day to keep sane?
Pray to God and stay up on what's happening in the world.

Favorite snack you could eat for two weeks straight?
Green tea ice cream all day everyday.

Soy sauce or MSG?
Soy sauce when I'm trying to keep my figure but MSG all over my chow mein after a good night and getting down on the dance floor.

She-Ra or Wonder Woman?
You know what, first off big ups to both of them wearing fab strapless dresses while kicking ass. But my money will be always on She-Ra. I had a She-Ra birthday party when I was 9 if that tells you the status of my loyalty to her.

Jellies or Flip Flops?
In a perfect world jellies but those suckers give you the WORST blisters. My feet are rocking the brown leather rainbow's.

PDX summertime activity you're looking forward to?
Rolling to the beach bumping some jams with the windows rolled down, layin in the sun with my drank and catching up on some reading.

Extras and shout-outs?
Ladies stay up, show your support to women doing something for us in the world. Big ups to Dr. Catherine Hamlin
(fistulafoundation. org), Frida Kahlo, The Guerrilla Girls (http://www. guerrillagirls. com) The Trillas, Dance for Peace!!!!! My ladies in PDX! Steph Green come home girl, come home! Peace everyone!!!!! Go outside, get your read on, and everyone be most triumphant to each other.

myspace.com/massart

1 comment:

AKIRA said...

love for liz